Tuesday 12 June 2012

Let’s Gdansk

Hello, this is a football blog.

Now, I don’t know much about football, but I know what I like, and that’s a good story, some melodrama, and grown men crying. I’m assuming there is already a vibrant football blogging community but I haven’t checked, largely because I’m pretty sure that, if I made contact with them, I’d be ripe for a good shunning. That’s fine. I’ll just sit over here and enjoy football by myself.

Although newish to the game, I live with an ardent football fan (Man Utd) and am also the daughter of one (Man City; this causes minor problems). In addition I work in an office full of them (mostly SPL), and I have been known to look at a ball with a less-than-suspicious glance. I like Arsenal. Recently I’ve been thrust into the depths of Euro 2012, through the means of the office sweepstake. 

My allotted team is Ireland, who I think really are just happy to have been invited.

Nonetheless, I’m bean-keen. Some unambitious early Euro thoughts: everyone is saying that Holland have a good shout with Van Persie, despite choking on their first match against Denmark, but I’m going to say it again. Although, the nice thing about them losing was that it sort of proved that Arsenal wasn’t just a one-man team for their whole premier league season – if Holland can’t even beat Denmark with Van Persie, then that does some credit to the Arsenal squad for, y’know, helping him along.

England are hilarious for their consistent triumphs of hope over experience. They are single-handedly getting me my fix of grown men crying. I like the look of the French, mostly because they are always the best-looking entrants in any international sports fixture (cf Rugby, Cycling).

The person who sits next to me at work has Russia in the sweepstake, and he has noted an admiration for their aggression mingled with disappointment in their racism.

It will be boring if Spain win.

My boyfriend, Lid Path, is part Italian, so tearful passion and tomato-based dinners form the prevailing emotion in our house at the moment. They are our official team, unless Ireland make a dramatic sweep to victory, in which case I supported them all along.

For the next blog post, I will endeavour to have something a bit more lucid and thoughtful to say! But for now, hello will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment